Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am corresponding with a man who claims he is in Libya on

a peace keeping mission and...
I am corresponding with a man who claims he is in Libya on a peace keeping mission and wants to come back to the United States to see me and marry me.

He gave me an e-mail address to send a request for emergency leave for him. I got an e-mail back which was on military letterhead and explained procedures on how to apply. They gave options for the length of leave and a monetary amount was fixed to each leave duration. The letter says that I am to pay for this to get his name on the list to be granted leave.

I wrote back because the letter was very vague as to where and how to send the money. They responded that I send money via Western Union and gave me the receiver's name which was Receiver's First Name: Tobenna Second Name: Kyrian and Surname: Osuamadi. The country is Nigeria. The test question and test answer were something I do not believe the military would use as a test question. Does this sound like a scam? Is there someway to verify if the person I am corresponding with is in fact in the military or a contractor for the military?

Thank You
Jean Nickle
7/20/2013
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is a scam. First and foremost the U.S. Military never requires any payment for a servicemember taking leave. If the person is eligible for leave, they get a free ride home by the Government and they are also still paid their regular wages. I can't tell you how many times I have seen this same scam. It is unfortunate that these cyber criminals target people, women mostly, who want to believe they have found someone special and are trusting of the military. These cyber criminals have nothing to do with the military and they take a soldier's identity from social media websites and then set up these elaborate scams. Most of these criminals are in Africa and Eastern Europe and they always use Western Union because it is, unfortunately, easy to use for criminals.

If you would like to read more about this issue you can see a good source of information on the Army CID site about these "romance" scams, by going to: http://www.cid.army.mil/romance_scam.html

That Site also contains the agencies that you can report this attempted scam to. These agencies try to work with foreign government law enforcement to shut these shops down.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer