How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34530
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are on terminal leave a sued for custody of a child

This answer was rated:

If you are on terminal leave a sued for custody of a child are you still appointed a lawyer due to the soldiers and sailors relief act?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You are not. That is, the SCRA does not guarantee a lawyer. The SCRA can give a basis for a delay of a proceeding. But it will not work for a soldier on terminal leave.

And even if the soldier was on active duty, not on terminal leave, they would not rate a lawyer. You only get JAG if you are facing a court marital or other disciplinary proceeding.

I am very sorry to have to bear bad news.
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its actually good news for me I'm the mother of the child in question her father is in the Marines and he has been threatening me with court for a while but never doing anything and I don't want to file before he is out if he's going to get a lawyer for free.

Related Military Law Questions