How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34754
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My supervisor (not my commander) shared my private mental health

This answer was rated:

My supervisor (not my commander) shared my private mental health problems with co-workers and civilian state employees with the intent to discredit me. What can I do about it?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You can report this up the chain of command with an Article 138, UCMJ.

Article 138 is one of the most powerful rights under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), but it is one of the rights least known and least used by military personnel. Under Article 138 of the UCMJ, "any member of the armed forces who believes himself (or herself) wronged by his (or her) commanding officer" may request redress. If such redress is refused, a complaint may be made and a superior officer must "examine into the complaint."

Article 138 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) gives every member of the Armed Forces the right to complain that he or she was wronged by his or her commanding officer. The right even extends to those subject to the UCMJ on inactive duty for training.

The process is simple. You put the complaint in writing, reference Art 138 UCMJ and hand to any commissioned officer, They will forward the complaint up to the General for investigation.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: you have recourse...if the commander is violating need to know, the general can hold him accountable.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please re-read my question.
Sorry..the I see now that it was the the answer is the same, but you must go through the commander.

You file the complaint with the commander...if the commander ignores, then you can file an Art 138 Complaint.

But frankly, I would expect the commander to address this complaint by holding the supervisor accountable for this violation of your privacy.

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you