How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34253
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am active duty Army and my divorce was just finalized through

Customer Question

I am active duty Army and my divorce was just finalized through the courts. I was wondering where I am supposed to take it to first on post to get it annotated for the military. Also I recently renewed my lease at my apartment off-post and was wondering if I was going to be forced to break said lease or if I would be able to continue at a fixed BAH rate for the duration.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You will want to submit this to the personnel office on the base (or, if your base does not have one, submit to your S1 office and they can record it)

You will no longer be eligible for BAH if you divorce. You may want to try and negotiate with the landlord to see if you can arrange to break the lease, or perhaps sublease to someone else.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Related Military Law Questions