Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am active duty Army and my divorce was just finalized through

Customer Question
the courts. I was wondering...
I am active duty Army and my divorce was just finalized through the courts. I was wondering where I am supposed to take it to first on post to get it annotated for the military. Also I recently renewed my lease at my apartment off-post and was wondering if I was going to be forced to break said lease or if I would be able to continue at a fixed BAH rate for the duration.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Military Law
7/10/2013
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You will want to submit this to the personnel office on the base (or, if your base does not have one, submit to your S1 office and they can record it)

You will no longer be eligible for BAH if you divorce. You may want to try and negotiate with the landlord to see if you can arrange to break the lease, or perhaps sublease to someone else.

Let me know if you have more questions.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer