How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34525
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Enlisted E-3 married, husband recently came out of closet.

This answer was rated:

Enlisted E-3 married, husband recently came out of closet. We already purchased a house. He will is not pursuing full ownership. I wish to keep the house. Even if we sold the house for what we paid we would still owe money since we have not even owned the house a year yet. We are required to be separated for a full year before a divorce is granted due to state requirements. Will I be eligible for single-rate BAH upon being granted a divorce, or will I be expected to abandon the house/somehow manage the financial burden and relocated into the barracks due to my low rank? No kids.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

E3 is tough...the Commander can authorize this, but typically you need to be a Staff NCO to rate BAH on right. Have you asked your commander if they will approve this request baed on your circumstances?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would describe my superiors as "sympathetic" to my circumstances, but the first piece of advice I received was basically to try to sell the house. This is absolutely not financially feasible as the house was only just purchased. The loan fees have barely begun to be paid off, let alone the idea that there is not yet equity built up, etc. I do not assume that more action could be taken by them to assist me, or grant single-rate BAH for example, but I want to know answers before I take further action so that my credit is not destroyed.

Which service is this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Regular Army


Just a moment, I want to look at the regs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I would also appreciate direction as to exactly what regs you find, and any documentation you could recommend for me to prepare myself with as I make my case to my command for a solution.


You have an uphill battle

Take a look at the DoD FMR (Financial Mangmt Reg) Ch 26

You can see it here

If you look at section 2 it lays out how a service member who does not have dependents can receive BAH.

It will not cover you...not as an E3.

As an E4, if you are in "sea duty" you can qualify....but I do not believe that will apply to you

Here is the key provision 260205(B)(2)

Except as provided in subparagraphs 260201.B and C, a member
without dependents in grade E-6 or below who is offered an assignment of adequate government
quarters, or is assigned government quarters but elects not to occupy such quarters and resides in
private quarters at own expense, is considered to be assigned to government quarters and not
entitled to BAH. Therefore, such member is entitled to partial BAH.

So the FMR is not going to support you other than to give you partial BAH which is $7/mo.

You can ask the commander to waive this...but that would have to come from HQDA (so you would need to get the flag officer to recommend it)...I suspect you may have a tough time with that

Sorry to have to bear bad news

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to help if I can
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your direction is immensely appreciated. I will review all of this so that I may make an informed decision as to how to proceed. Thank you.

Yes Ma'am

Good luck in this fight


Related Military Law Questions