How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34330
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to contact my jag that was over my case when I

This answer was rated:

I am trying to contact my jag that was over my case when I was discharged. There are some discrepancies with my dd214 and was wanting to get them resolved and appeal my discharge type. How do I go about that?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Sorry...not sure I want the JAG lawyer who represented you in the military to help you with your appeal discharge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sort of. I was discharged 28NOV00. I have just recently obtained a copy of my DD214, due to I was never given/mailed this form. There are a fair bit of discrepancies on it including some conflicting dates of service and actual discharge. I wanted to correct those as well as know what I have to do to appeal my discharge type. I was in formed that I still have attorney client privileges. This is why I want to contact her if possible.

You still have attorney client privileges...that is absolutely true.

But that only means that she can not discuss your case with anyone but you.

That does not mean she has to help you

In fact, the opposite is true.

Once you left the service, she no longer has a duty to assist you

After 13 years, it may be she is no longer in...or if she is, no longer working as a defense counsel.

It is likely she no longer has the file (there is no duty to keep files after discharge)

So you can try and track her down...but it is not likely going to do you any good...since she is not required to assist you and, frankly, likely no longer has the file after over 10 years'

If the goal is to appeal this, you are a bit late.

There is a 3 year window to appeal to the board of corrections for military records.

You can apply and ask them to waive the 3 year window...if you can show good cause for waiting so long, they may agree to look at your appeal even though over 3 years have passed.

I would considering hiring a lawyer with experience in this area...even if you can track down this JAG officer, I would not expect them to assist you, since they are not required to do so, and could not do so ethically while "on duty" since you have been discharged you no longer rate services from JAG

Sorry to have to bear bad news.

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions