Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Help

I'm a SFC in the...
I'm a SFC in the army. I pissed a 146 nl/ml for cocaine. Is that a positive? I heard the screening was 150. CID tried to question me and get me to admit. I denied and then asked for a lawyer. My commander still hasn't notified me. Thank u
6/22/2013
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

There are two separate tests run by the DoD Drug lab

The first is an "assay"(immunoassay) test that is used as a "screening test". The assay test is not particularly accurate, but is used as the name implies to sceen out negative samples. For cocaine the cutoff is 150 ng/ml.

The second test is the gcms Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry)

This is a very accurate testing method and for cocaine, the cutoff is 100 ng/ml

So if your final level was 146 ng/ml for cocaine? The lab will report you positive.

You can see the DoD Instruction here

http://prhome.defense.gov/RFM/READINESS/DDRP/docs/8%20Standard%20Drug%20Testing%20Panel%20Update.pdf
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer