Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I enlisted in the coast guard when I was 18. Due immaturity

I enlisted in the coast...
I enlisted in the coast guard when I was 18. Due immaturity I was discharged uncharacterized. I want to renlist . I am 22 much mature worked for past 4 years. Tool swim lessons and became a life guard. My re code is 3. Can I reenlist?
6/11/2013
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You can re-enter...but you will require a waiver. And waivers are hard to come by.
The largest problem you face is the poor economy. The poor economy has caused a flock of people turning to the military for jobs. Despite the war recruiting is way up in all branches. The need for the services to grant waivers has decreased. For example the Marines recently decreased their maximum age for enlistment. It is tough today to get a waiver.

Now...circumstances can change. IF we go to war (more than we are currently in) or if the economy improves? It will be easier. We would not be having this conversation 7 years ago...back in 2005 it was easy to get a waiver.

Consider approaching the National Guard or the Army...both are the most willing to grant waivers today. The Marines/AF and CG are very tough, today, to get a waiver

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Army and National Guard just don't interest me. Do think it is worth effort to even try the Coast Guard? I was going to wait another 2 years, so it would be about five years for me total. What about the Navy? Thanks.

It is not the time you wait...it is what is going on with the economy and the wars that matter most.

SO waiting 2 years is good, if the economy improves. If it gets worse? Then it may be even more difficult to enter.

I think it is worth talking to a few recruiters. And I think the Navy today is easier than the CG to enter.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer