How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19312
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about a dependent born aboard about their

This answer was rated:

I have a question about a dependent born aboard about their birth certificate. My daughter is trying to get her passport & is being told she can not get one with her birth certificate because its from 1984 & does not have parents name on it. It's the only one she has & parents have. What does she need to do in order to get a pass port.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.


You'll have to get a consular report of birth abroad from the Department of State, which will act to replace the birth certificate as evidence of your daughter's citizenship.


That is through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know what paper work she would need when she apples & also her father has passed away. Will this effected her in applying at the immigration. Thank you for your time.

I do not work in immigration, so I do not know the exact paperwork she needs. That is a question for an immigration attorney. I'm just a military law attorney that knows that those born abroad have to apply, with immigration, for that certificate to show that she is a citizen.


So, she needs to go to a local immigration office, ask them what paperwork she needs to bring, and then request that document.


Once she has it, no she should not have any trouble with immigration.

Allen M., Esq. and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you