How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19222
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriends father is dying in the hospital with brain cancer.

Resolved Question:

My girlfriends father is dying in the hospital with brain cancer. She is not sure how to get access to see if he had the survivors policy, one that ensures that when and if he passes away, his military pension will continue.
How do you recommend we proceed with this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.


She needs to contact DFAS directly to see if they will let her know.


If she is the beneficiary, they will be willing to talk to her. If she is not, they will not disclose to her who the beneficiary is because he is still alive. No one can claim the benefits yet, so no one is appointed as a representative of his estate at this point in order to have the power to get that confidential information.

Allen M., Esq. and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you