How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34525
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question involves a veterans benefits. My father served

This answer was rated:

This question involves a veterans benefits. My father served from 1942 to 1946 in WW2. He never joined the VA. In 2012, he had a stroke and was confined to a wheel chair. In addition he had dementia and we had to put him in a nursing home. It was then I applied for VA benefits, submitting his application at the Lakewood NJ VA. My initial application was lost and I had to submit another one in Brick, NJ. We finally registered him and an appointment was made in Lakewood. I called to tell him due to his condition we could not bring him there and I asked if somoene could see him at the nursing home. I was told the VA doesnt do that. Now from what I found out from a family friend, their father received home visits and he lives in an adjacent town. I complained to the VA 800 number and I received a call from Brick saying there are no visitations.
I want to know the actual policy. This could have saved us our home and assets. The friend in Bayville assures us VA vists her father. I am very frustrated with this and want to know actual policy for vets who require home assistance
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Can you tell me what you mean by "home visit"?

What is it you are trying to accomplish?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well we were trying to obtain veterans benefits for my father. Our goal was to get him seen by a va doctor, apply for a va nursing home and hopefully save the home from medicaid/nursing homes. When I called the Lakewood VA and told them of my fathers condition, their social worker was adament that my father had to go to the facility and noone could visit him.

A family friend insists her father was seen by visiting va doctors (also in NJ) was eventually accepted to a nursing home, but at this time is receiving benefits while he is at home.


I think the VA is giving me the runaround. At this point my father has 6 months to live so it basically is too late to start this ball rolling again.


But i want to know if the VA does do home visits and if there is any rules regarding same.

Chances are being I kept no written records or saved names, I probably cant sue. But I would like to know so I can file a complaint against them at least




There is no national policy on is up to the Regional office...can you tell me, is your father a VA health care patient?

Also, are you working with a VSO (veterans services officer) to help you, or are you working directly with the VA?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have received no help at all from either. I just complained to the 800 number and someone from brick nj called me telling me they don't do home visits which was refuted by the friend from bayville. My dad was registered; even that was a pain because brick lost my initial application. I wanted him to be seen by doctor at the nursing home or at least have the nursing home doctor forward paperwork to them but the Lakewood social worker insisted we transport him there. My sisters and I do not live in nj so it would be difficult, plus my fathers dementia makes him very difficult.
Sir, we already lost the house and his assets are nearly depleted. Medicaid is our only option now. But when I hear about this other father getting the benefits of home visits I get perturbed with va for their lack of assistance.
It's there someone I can speak to at va that can actually give me an accurate answer.
Thank you

What you need is a VSO to help you. I agree, it can be frustrating to accomplish this process. THe process is not complex. YOur father needs to complete VA Form 21-526. He can do can assist. THen he needs to complete VA Form 21-2680. This is the form a doctor uses to evaluate the need for the benefit. In my region (NW USA) the regional office does not do "home visits". Again, this is up to the region. There is no rule requiring the VA to provide a "home visit". but you can have your doctor visit your father and complete the form. THat is all you need...once the form is signed by a doctor, you can submit it to the VA.

I would contact your state VSO. THey are paid to help you. Call 1-888-VETSNYS (838-7697) to find out where your county VSO is. THen contact them...they can assist you to get the form complete.

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions