How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19179
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my friend has osteochondroma on his right knee

This answer was rated:

my friend has osteochondroma on his right knee it causes major pain and doesn't want surgery because knee surgery is risky and it will only come back he also had it before the navy can he get a medical discharge for it or possibly a retirement

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

He can apply for a medical discharge, but the problem is that he had this before he joined the service. They are going to avoid any sort of medical retirement based on that fact.

Now, as long as he disclosed this issue to the Navy before joining, they will consider his military service to be an aggravating factor in his injury and can choose to medically separate him with a partial disability rating. If he is not happy with that rating or the military just decides to separate him with a a rating he can still use the VA to show service connection between his injury being made worse and his service, and get a rating from the VA instead.
Allen M., Esq. and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions