How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19179
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can you have your arrest record removed, if there was no

This answer was rated:

how can you have your arrest record removed, if there was no court martial?
my discharge was general under honorable conditions but under narrative it says misconduct.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.


Your discharge status can't be changed without going through the discharge board.


If your discharge narrative reads "misconduct" it is because that was the basis for your discharge. You were discharged under an administrative discharge chapter called "misconduct" based on the facts concerning the arrest.


Getting that upgraded to an Honorable rather than a General is the only method of having that discharge narrative changed on your DD Form 214.


As for having the arrest record removed, it's not legally possible. The military records on arrests are treated in the same fashion as their convictions, they are not expungable. There isn't even a process to do so. As unfair as this is, it is not unprecedented as there are many states that treat their arrest records in the exact same fashion.


I wish I could tell you differently here, but I can't.

Allen M., Esq. and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions