How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34275
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed enlistment papers for the Armed Forces 4/5/13 and

This answer was rated:

I signed enlistment papers for the Armed Forces 4/5/13 and was under the understanding that I enlisted in a DEP and as I look at my contract section 8 a. is blank. I was not allowed to read the contract but just asked to sign. I need to know my options as I made an error and request that I be discharged from the DEP of the Army.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Can you tell me, was the enlistment into the National Guard? Or into the regular Army?

When is the ship date?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

enlistment in Army Reserves


May 20, 2013 is the date to go to training camp



The reserves make it more complex...tell me this, have you attended any drills with your unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, as I just signed up on 4/5/13, last Friday

Thank you.

This is a bit of a "grey area"

If you had signed up for active duty (full time Army) then under current Army policy you could simply refuse to go to bootcamp and they would separate you with an "entry level separation" (ELS). This is a "neutral" characterization that is not as bad as an "other than honorable" conditions discharge (OTH)

But that policy only applies to the regular army. It does not apply to the reserves.

So if you do not go to bootcamp, technically the local commander (the one you are to report to after bootcamp is complete) could process you for an OTH discharge.

This requires they give you notice in writing and a chance to have a hearing (to determine if an OTH is appropriate in your case) even though they can issue an OTH often they do not go to the trouble and simply award an ELS.

So if you do not go to bootcamp, you take a risk they run you for an OTH.

What can you do?

You can request, to your commander, that they release you from your contract. You would do this in writing. They may grant your request and separate you

If they do not (or if they do nothing), then you run a risk of an OTH discharge if you do not go to bootcamp.

Still if the goal is to avoid the service, you can refuse to go to bootcamp...just understand that could result in a poor discharge

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

With an ELS would I be aloud to re join the Army at a later date?

Typically no. Once you get an ELS, you will be given a reentry code that makes it difficult, if not impossible to reenter.

Related Military Law Questions