How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34506
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a year long relationship with my former boyfriend, a

This answer was rated:

I had a year long relationship with my former boyfriend, a U.S marine, who was stationed in Okinawa until recently. He is legally married but he filed divorce papers and had a court date set so that he could finalize his divorce and marry me while he was on leave. We kept in contact everyday through skype, email, and voxer. I stayed in contact with him on his promise that he would divorce his wife and marry me. He had no contact with his wife for the year that him and I were together and in fact he addressed me as his wife and him as my husband. He sent packages to me with my first name and his last name. We were intimate on several occasions after his return home. 3 days after being home he reconciled with his wife and they are working on their marriage. I haven't spoken to him. I have an adequate amount of documented proof of all that I'm accusing him of. My question is, given the nature of our relationship, is this considered an affair and will he get in trouble if I decide to speak openly about it? Can I sue him in the state of Texas and recover all money sent to him and sent to him during the course of our relationship, as well as emotional damage that I've suffered?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

It is an affair that he could be prosecuted for.

Under military law adultery is a crime. It is punishable by the Maine Corps...if you report this, I would expect the Marine Corps to punish him either at Court Martial or via administrative punishment (referred to as non judicial punishment)

But you can not sue him.

There is no law in Texas that would allow you to sue for this. It is not a tort to lie to another to gain their affection. So it is not something you can sue for, even to recover the money you sent him.

But you can report this and if you do, I would expect that he will be prosecuted.

I am sorry to have to bear bad news.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is an example of non judicial punishment?
NJP is administrative punishment. The maximum punishment at this forum is 45 days restriction (must stay on base for 45 days), 45 days extra duties, loss of one rank and loss of one months pay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Who would I need to contact to report this. Will this require me to hire an attorney. contact his commanding officer. His Battalion Commander. If you are not sure who that is? Contact the Base Adjutant for the base he is currently stationed at...tell them what is going on (that you want to report this crime...they will get you in contact with his commander)
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions