How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:


Separation Code: JKK
Reentry Code: 2B
Narrative Reason for Separation: MISCONDUCT

Its been 5 years now and this has affected me terribly in terms of trying to acquire a job. Please help

Hello Aida,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Thank you for your military service rendered on behalf of our nation!

Sure sorry for your circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share some good news with you.

There is legal authority for applying to change military records, pursuant to 10 U.S.C. § 1552.

To do so, there are two steps you need to take, as follows:

(1) Obtain an official copy of your records from the National Archives and Records Administration:

Correcting Military Service Records

(2) Submit your request, which since less than 15 years have elapsed, will be this document:

DoD Form 293

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I request my records and submit the request, then what? What do you think are the chances of my discharge actually getting updated?

Hello again Aida,

Thanks for writing back..great to hear from you!

You are most pleasure entirely!

Honestly, all I can do is instruct you on how to apply, which I've done. I could say you're guaranteed to have your request granted, but that would be a meaningless and actually dishonest statement. In other words, your part is to submit your application, and then it rests with the reviewing board. I would love to say otherwise, but I just don't want to do you the disservice of misleading you.

In terms of processing times, however, I can speak factually. If you request a personal appearance and travel, the average time runs around six months. If you just submit the paperwork, which is the usual approach, it runs around 12 months.

These answers and some other helpful pointers are discussed here:

Army Discharge Review Board

Hope that helps some more and that all goes smoothly!

Best regards,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

True I see what you mean. Now I see the link you provided which gives helpful pointers, does it matter that its from an Army Discharge Review board and I'm trying to get the Air Force Review board? Do they work together? Sorry to bombard you with questions I'm just overwhelmed by my situation.

Hi again Aida,

Not at all...each of your questions are logical and I'm happy to help out.

Everything is essentially the same in substance (i.e. same federal law gives you the right to apply, same DoD Form 293, and so forth). Here's their site:

Air Force Discharge Review Board

The questions and answers section seems to be down at the moment (I receive an error message), but I wanted you to have it for reference. All in all, however, it pretty much boils down to the same principles.

Kind regards,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow and 2 other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much, you've been great help. I'll be sure to come back to this website if there is any more questions.

Hello Aida,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D.

Related Military Law Questions