Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am pregnant and separating with the chapter 8 separation,

Customer Question
my home of record is...
I am pregnant and separating with the chapter 8 separation, my home of record is Kansas and I am returning there the closest mtf is ft Leavenworth but they do not have a maternity clinic as in they do not do births. Am I still able to receive treatment since there is no mtf available for me? Also does Tricare tamp cover my pregnancy?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Military Law
6/2/2012
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 5 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

While you are active duty you are entitled to health care...but once you separate you no longer will rate health care through the Army.

That said, you do rate TRICARE for 180 day through the TAMP program. You will want to enroll in this right after you discharge at the nearest DEERS office.

Then, after the TRICARE TAMP program expires, you can apply for the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP)...this can give you an additional coverage for up to 18 months. More information on this here

Link text
will tricare TAMP cover my entire pregnancy costs even if it is not at an MTF? I know that per the regualtion my pregnancy will be 100% convered if I go to an MTF but FT Leveanworth does not have a maternity center. I am most curious about the TAMP if it will cover my ENTIRE maternity care since I will not be going over my 180 days before I give birth
Minus co-pays. You still have to pay Tricare Prime Co-pays for each visit...but they are nominal...I believe they are at $12 per visit currently and a small copay for some prescription drugs
ok so 12 dollars for a doctors visit is not bad, but will TAMP cover my delivery? I have been looking into it a lot and I always kind of get the run around when it comes to that question. I just want to know if tricare TAMP will cover my delivery as long as i am still in the 180 day window.
Yes. They will...TRICARE is amazing insurance. It covers all costs minus copays
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer