Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My husband is in the army, he stabbed someone that threatened

me. It has been a...
My husband is in the army, he stabbed someone that threatened me. It has been a month since the incident and his superiors have yet to tell him anything! how long can they wait?
11/1/2011
Allen M., Esq.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

That really depends on what they plan on doing. If they want to use non-judicial punishment, they have two years from the incident.

If they are willing to go to court martial, they have 5 years.

Those are the only limitations, the statutes of limitations.
So they dont have to tell us anything about the investigation or anything?
Relist: Answer quality.
I see that you relisted my answer within 21 seconds of asking me a follow up question. I'll need a little more time than that before you relist for other attorneys to answer, please.

No, they don't have to disclose to you, or anyone, anything about an ongoing investigation or what their plans are. When and if they decide to charge him with anything, only then will they be required (by the rules of disclosure) to reveal the evidence they intend to use against him, to his attorney if they plan on doing a court martial.

They can legally keep him completely in the dark during the entire investigation process. They can literally not say a word to him for 4 years, 11 months and 29 days and then, suddenly, inform him that they are going forward with a court martial.
It was labeled simple assault by authorities and he wasnt arrested, nor were any charges pressed. Is the fact that they're waiting more then a month a good thing?
I would say that it is a neutral fact. It's neither good nor bad. It might be good because they don't plan on doing anything, but that's not necessarily what it means. It very well could mean that the state is slow in providing the evidence that the military CID is requesting.

My point here is that while a month is a long time for you two to have to deal with this (I can certainly understand that), it's not a long time at all in legal processing. It is, in fact, very early in the legal process and things just move slowly.

I would also add that the military is not going to be bound by what the state classifies it as. The military is an independent jurisdiction and they can make their own choice on what to classify it as, based on the facts.
He's been diagnosed with PTSD since the incident and is attending ADAPS(Military AA). Will this look good for him?
It's a defense that can be used, so it's certainly a relevant and useful fact. The military does recognize what is commonly called a "temporary insanity" defense against actions requiring intent, but it's not always successful.

Again, it's useful but not something that necessarily means and automatic win for him.
I'm am her husband, have talked with the TDS, really looking at how this happened so fast and having never experianced any trouble prior to this isolated incident. Knew soldier, worked with him for 2 yrs prior to evening this took place rode motorcycles with him on occasion. He was up until a month prior associated with a certain group not in good standing with any form of gov agency, knew he carried a gun on most nights and know he has had a previous assualt charge with the hand gun. upon what he said did not think it was a matter of intent but more of a reaction i just want to know what the worst case would be in regards XXXXX XXXXX and the best possible case scenerio, know of the commander is finishing writing up a repermand based on his own words at a recent awards ceromony, but have had word it is giong to a court martial just do not know which one out of the three it could be, any insight or thaughts on this might help us a little
The best possible scenario is that they counsel you, though that's highly unlikely. They may choose to just let the civilian authorities handle it, but they will have to respond in some fashion. If you are going to allege that the PTSD had a bearing here, they will likely at least look to separate you from the military under a personality disorder chapter if the civilian courts go forward with the case.

Worst case scenario is that the state decides to let the military handle it and the commander decides to charge you under court martial for assault with a deadly weapon or even attempted murder, depending on the facts.

If you have already heard that they are seeking court martial, then you know that the best case scenario is a summary court martial where they would only be able to give you:
1 grade reduction (E5 and above); Multi-grade reduction (E4 & below); Confinement for 30 days (E3 & below); Forfeiture of two-thirds pay for 1 month; Hard labor without confinement for 30 days; Restriction for 60 days.

If they seek a special court martial, they can only give you: Bad Conduct Discharge; Reduction to E1; Confinement for 6 months; Forfeiture of two-thirds pay for six months.

At general court martial, it would depend on what they charge you with.

If they charged you with assault with a dangerous weapon, Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 3 years.

If they charged you with attempted murder, you would be eligible for life in prison but not death.

Obviously, the lower and higher possibilities are much less likely than something in the middle, like a special court martial.

There isn't a play book that the commander is bound to though. There is commander discretion in what route to take, so I can not predict to you what they will do.
Allen M., Esq.
CAN WE SEEK CIVILIAN COUNSEL AFTER AN ARTICLE 32 HEARING
Yes, you can bring in a civilian counsel at that point.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer