How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19319
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I report a charge of adultery to the military

Customer Question

How do I report a charge of adultery to the military
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

In the military, criminal actions are commander driven. That means that the commander of the solider engaging in the illegal behavior ultimately has to be informed, so that that person can make the decision on what to do.

So, while you can report criminal behaviors to the military police on base, the Judge Advocate General, the Criminal Investigation Division or any other number of legal entities on the military base (and they'll contact the commander), it is preferable to figure out who the commander of the soldier is and to report the conduct to that person as well.
Allen M., Esq. and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do Ifind that out? I don't want criminal prosecution, I just want his co to tell him to cease contact immediately, in order to reconcile with my spouse. This is all compounded by the fact she was abused as a child.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, unless you already know the commander of this soldier, you'll have to go through JAG or the MP's to make sure the commander gets the message.

The base directory won't just give you his unit and commander's number without good reason.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I send info to any jag? Because he has moved around.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Not just any JAG. You need to speak with the JAG located at the base that he is presently stationed with. If you don't know where he is located now, you can certainly report to a local JAG, but that's an act of trust. If the local JAG feels like making some efforts to find this soldier, he/she can find him.

But the local JAG wouldn't be compelled to do so. The soldier's present commander is the one with jurisdiction, so you have to report to that jurisdictional figure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I know he is near Fort Hood, are ther any other bases near there? I'm not vindictive, I just want the best chance to save my marriage. He is a doctor, would that help me to locate his co?

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, his being a doctor would narrow the potential places that he could serve.

In terms of other bases, I really have no way of knowing that any more than you do (Google). It's simply not a matter of military law.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So do I send proof to my local jag or just tell him. I want to be as discrete as possible.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Talk to the local JAG. Don't send any proof at this time. The only function of the local JAg is to assist you in finding where this soldier is and who the commander is, which is within the power of any active duty JAG.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I contact my local jAG?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Figure out a base near you, look up their operator's number on line, call the operator and ask to have the phone number for the JAG office, MP's or CID.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would I be better off just asking my congressman to quietly pursue this matter?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Your Congressman can't do anything more than you can do yourself here.

The congressman doesn't have any power to enforce the UCMJ. All the legislator would do is make the exact same contact that I'm telling to you try and make. The legislator would do nothing more than suggest that the commander call you, a suggestion that can be ignored.

Congressman legislate....they don't have enforcement authority.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. Hope I can contact you in the future. Hope I don't have to.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
I hope things go well.

If you have need of my int he future, you can always add to this question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Local pa national guard says call Ft Hood? Should I?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
That's as good as any, sure.