Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

What is the U.S. Marine Corps. legal definition for Confinement

Customer Question
What is the U.S. Marine...
What is the U.S. Marine Corps. legal definition for "Confinement for the length of his natural life." Sentence recorded March 17, 1993 at MCAS El Toro, California. Is it a different definition to The BOP? Who would be in charge of up holding sentencing if the prisoner was originally held by the Marines and 8 years or so later was transfered to civilian?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Military Law
8/1/2011
Military Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

The definition is the same regardless where the prisoner is incarcerated and it means a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
If you have some question that was not answered by the previous expert, then please ask, however, he has properly answered the question posed, it means life in prison unless the sentence stated "with possibility of parole."
actually he didn't answer the second part and you did not either.
Perhaps if you actually clarify what was not answered we could better assist you, since BOP has nothing to do with sentencing other than carrying out the sentence.
ok so the inmate was originally sentenced in the Military justice system and held in leavenworth with the above sentence and was two votes from the death pentalty he was transfered to an FCI facility and had a release date of 1-15-2012. You may have heard of the case US vs. Kevin Maurice Holt, sentenced March 17 1993. I was the person who turned him in after they found my friends body stabbed 46 times. Brent Arthurs was a decorated war vetran who was lured to his death. I have been able to get a parole hearing called and the uspc had requested that I prove the original sentencing as to see why they shouldnt release him. I thought that was strange since I figured they would have access to that stuff easier than I. As of at least the begining of this year he has been schedual for release with a status of not eligible for parole. I have been confused by that for awhile and no one affiliated with the courts have been able to explain what that means.
I have all the appeals and court records regarding his effets to change the outcome all which where denied. By the way I am not good with all the legal jargon so bear with me. Please
As for BOP I had spoke with them and get all those people confused. To clarify, would a sentencing change as a result of being moved from a military prision to a FCI?
They absolutely should and do have access to the original sentencing and it doesn't take much for you to get that by just making a request from the tribunal that sentenced him. BOP cannot change the sentence from the tribunal, but you need to see if it was natural life with or without parole.
It says confinement for natural life. So is that a parolable sentence or not?
It has to say something to the effect of "without any rights, privileges, claims, or benefits arising under the parole and suspension or remission of sentence laws of the United States and the regulations promulgated thereunder..." in order for them not to be eligible for parole. If it does not say that, then there is a parole eligibility (see: 18 U.S.C. 4201 et seq., 10 USC 3662 et seq., 10 USC 871, 874).
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney