How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34285
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can a person qualify for a VA loan with a DD256A or DD257A

Resolved Question:

can a person qualify for a VA loan with a DD256A or DD257A FORM..What is a certificate of eligibility
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

A person needs to be eligible...and that is based on service. Did you have any active duty time? Or was it all reserve?

How much time did you have (active/reserve)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think it was considered all 13 yrs reserve. during Desert Storm was called for Map Making...never left the USA. I am asking in regards XXXXX XXXXX fiance. we are wanting to purchase a home but they asked us for a DD214 OR CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.

For a VA home loan you need either
1. 2 years or more active
2. 6 or more years reserve

So it sounds like she qualifies.

To get the certificate she can apply online here

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But what does DD246A OR DD247A form mean? what does it stand for?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
No idea what either of those forms are...they are NOT a DD214 or DD256/257 (all of which show service dates)

If you want to get eligibility you can use a DD256/257 or a DD214
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions