Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

can a person qualify for a VA loan with a DD256A or DD257A

Customer Question
FORM..What is a certificate of...
can a person qualify for a VA loan with a DD256A or DD257A FORM..What is a certificate of eligibility
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Military Law
7/27/2011
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 6 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

A person needs to be eligible...and that is based on service. Did you have any active duty time? Or was it all reserve?

How much time did you have (active/reserve)?
I think it was considered all 13 yrs reserve. during Desert Storm was called for Map Making...never left the USA. I am asking in regards XXXXX XXXXX fiance. we are wanting to purchase a home but they asked us for a DD214 OR CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY
Thanks

For a VA home loan you need either
1. 2 years or more active
or
2. 6 or more years reserve

So it sounds like she qualifies.

To get the certificate she can apply online here

http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/eligibility.asp

But what does DD246A OR DD247A form mean? what does it stand for?
No idea what either of those forms are...they are NOT a DD214 or DD256/257 (all of which show service dates)

If you want to get eligibility you can use a DD256/257 or a DD214
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer