How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 20363
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I go about changing my DD214 discharge code. I was

Resolved Question:

How do I go about changing my DD214 discharge code. I was forced out because of migraines and after civilian doctors fixed what was going on I want to go back in. So I need that code changed.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.

Did you have a RE 4 code?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Separation Code: JFM and Reentry Code 2Q, I was told by an Army Recruiter that I couldn't go in unless that code is changed but he didn't get into how to change it.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

Thank you for that information. Actually, the recruiter is responsible for applying for a waiver. It is not usual procedure for the Review Board to change an RE code unless they are also upgrading a discharge. I am not sure why the recruiter gave you that information, but you might consider speaking to a different recruiter about why you can't just get a waiver.

The only way to have a change to your DD-214 is to submit a DD 293 to the Discharge Review Board for the Service you separated from. You can get the form, which has the addresses for each Service on the form itself, by going
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So your saying that there is a waiver that would allow me to go back in without changing the actual DD214
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.
Yes, each service Secretary has the authority to waive entrance requirements in individual cases. That includes waivers based on RE codes.
Marsha411JD and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.
I just wanted to touch base with you again. If the recruiter tells you that they can't process a waiver for you, which might typically occur if it has been less than two years since your discharge, your best bet is to skip the DD 293 step and instead file a DD form 149. That is actually for the correction of your service record and that is really best suited to change your RE code based on updated and favorable medical information. The form and the address to send it to are at: