Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Does my military conviction show up on FBI fingerprint check

Customer Question
for employment....
Does my military conviction show up on FBI fingerprint check for employment.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/22/2011
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 6 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Yes, a court martial conviction would show up on a fingerprint check. It is a federal conviction.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
How can I get it expunged..It is almost ten years and I am a totally different person.
The only way is with a pardon from the president. You can start that process here

http://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardon_instructions.htm

Ok thanks...is it nearly impossible...worth the effort? Thanks for your help
Well, its free to try. But its a bit of a longshot.
Ok so i paid for a national criminal check and it came up clear. I have also had FBI fingerprinting in the past and that conviction did not come up. It was a general court martial for failed urinalysis of marijuana and cocaine. I am now 8 years sober from all substances including alcohol. I am applying for nurse licensure and have just spent five rigorous years in school. I am just scared to list it on the application because I have worked so hard and dont want to be denied. Any advice? PLease?
A general court martial conviction would typically be in the NCIC (national criminal database).

It may be that the unit did not report...that would not be a surprise...but they should have. Entries go into the NCIC on conviction.

Your call to disclose or not...but if you do not and its in the NCIC, the licensing authority will be able to see it.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer