How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 35002
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a general under honorable conditions discharge.

Resolved Question:

I received a general under honorable conditions discharge. I need help with schooling and medical. how can I go about getting the help I need from the VA? I keep getting told that they will not do it unless I go through some processes but no one is being clear on the process. Can you help me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

With a "general" discharge, you will rate full VA benefits EXCEPT the GI Bill.

By law, you can not draw the GI Bill unless you have an "honorable" discharge. So you will not rate education benefits.

But medical? That is easy. You apply directly to the VA. Its as simple has driving to the nearest VA hospital and applying (they will give you the forms you need there). If you want medical care, you have to actually go to the VA hospital or clinic nearest you for the treatment. But with your general discharge, you will qualify for care.

Now, if you have an injury from your service?

Under the law, if you sustained injuries while serving in the armed forces, or had an existing condition aggravated by your service, you are entitled to treatment for those injuries. You may also be entitled to compensation. But to start the process, you need to apply.

You can do this yourself, by visiting your local VA and filling out form 21-526

More info here

Or one can take advantage of one of the service organizations like the DAV or VFW. They offer free help and have LOTS of experience in this area...they can help from start to finish. And the price is

Understand that this process is complex...that is why I recommend you use the DAV or VFW to assist.

Let me know if you have more questions
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you