P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I received a general under honorable conditions discharge.

I received a general under honorable conditions discharge. I need help with schooling and medical. how can I go about getting the help I need from the VA? I keep getting told that they will not do it unless I go through some processes but no one is being clear on the process. Can you help me?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

With a "general" discharge, you will rate full VA benefits EXCEPT the GI Bill.

By law, you can not draw the GI Bill unless you have an "honorable" discharge. So you will not rate education benefits.

But medical? That is easy. You apply directly to the VA. Its as simple has driving to the nearest VA hospital and applying (they will give you the forms you need there). If you want medical care, you have to actually go to the VA hospital or clinic nearest you for the treatment. But with your general discharge, you will qualify for care.

Now, if you have an injury from your service?

Under the law, if you sustained injuries while serving in the armed forces, or had an existing condition aggravated by your service, you are entitled to treatment for those injuries. You may also be entitled to compensation. But to start the process, you need to apply.

You can do this yourself, by visiting your local VA and filling out form 21-526

More info here http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526-ARE.pdf

Or one can take advantage of one of the service organizations like the DAV or VFW. They offer free help and have LOTS of experience in this area...they can help from start to finish. And the price is right...free.

Understand that this process is complex...that is why I recommend you use the DAV or VFW to assist.

Let me know if you have more questions