How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34996
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i go about getting spacific records, of a court marshel

This answer was rated:

how do i go about getting spacific records, of a court marshel in 1980,in wich i was the only witness to an attempt murder of a buck sgt, by a nother buck sgt?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Can you tell me, what type of court was this? General or Special?

And what was the unit that ran the court? Where were they located at?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not sure wich court , but it was on post, and EVERYBODY was in uniform. I was in camp casey , korea 2nd division, ? btln, C- company. The defendents name was sgt neely or neeley, one of those, and the guy he hit was sgt rogers.
What you really need is the name of the unit. The Battalion/Division you belonged to.

Once you have that, you would be able to request the record of trial. The record of trial is the official report of the court martial.

You can request the record of trial under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA).

If the record still exists. But if its a attempted murder trial, I suspect there is still a record.

I would start with a request of your records. You can do so here

If you were in the same unit, you can then submit a FOIA request to that same battalion. I would also request to the Division.

The FOIA request must be in writing, state that its a request under the FOIA. You will want to request the record of trial for US v Neely. I would also request under the various other possible names. Your request must state your willing to pay the fees to copy the documents.

You send the request to the adjutant of the unit (battalion and division)

If the record exits, again I suspect it will, you can get a copy that way.

Let me know if you have more questions
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you