How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19313
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is a DD 258A Discharge and can it be reversed

Customer Question

What is a DD 258A Discharge and can it be reversed?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
It's called an undesirable discharge certificate and doesn't really say exactly why it was received.

Essentially, it is an other than honorable discharge and doesn't allow for most military benefits.

If you try within 15 years of your discharge, you can seek an upgrade by filing a DD Form 293 with the review board.

If over 15 years, it is practically impossible to get changed. You'd have to file a DD Form 149 seeking to correct the record, and you can only discuss how the original classification was in error or an injustice.