Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My Name is Lydia Godinich. I have been enlisted in the Air

Customer Question
My Name isXXXXX have been...
My Name isXXXXX have been enlisted in the Air Force for about 7 months. I hate my job and I have become very depressed. I don't have energy to do anything. I hate my job because It's not what I wanted from the beginning and I got screwed over. I didn't want a job where i do the same thing everyday and thats what i do and i can't stand it. I was raped a few weeks ago and I just can't take being here. I hate where i'm located because of the traffic its hard to go out. I am desperate to get out. My goal is to be a police officer or in the criminal justice department. I don't want to hurt that field. But i'm miserable as all can be and I have hit rock bottem. I want help and I want to go home or get closer to home. Is there anything i can do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Military Law
7/9/2010
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 7 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

So you ask the age old question...how do I get out early?

Answer...there is not an easy way. With our all volunteer service, the military spent a good deal of money to find and train you...the last thing they want is to let you out before they get a return on their investment.

That said, if you want out prior to the end of your contract, it will need to come from an administrative separation

There are 2 types of Administrative Separations...Voluntary and Involuntary. You want, if at all possible, voluntary. If you can fit your circumstances into a voluntary separation you will typically rate an honorable separation.

Some examples of reasons for voluntary separation include:
Conscientious objector
Hardship
Pregnancy
Early release to further education

While not voluntary, a "convenience of the government" discharge may also get you where you want to go. As the title says, its for the government's convenience, not yours..but if you can convince the command to support you this is also a way out.

If you can not find a voluntary separation reason that fits your circumstances, I would urge you to finish your term, since if you attempt an involuntary separation, this will typically result in a less than favorable characterization of your discharge, a loss in veterans benefits and difficulty going forward in a job search. Still, if you can not find a voluntary separation that fits, you can look closely at the different involuntary methods, as one or more may apply

Either way it is very important that someone in your command is "on your side" If there is a Staff NCO or better who can speak to the command on your behalf this will help quite a bit. In the end it is the Commanding Officer who will likely make the decision whether or not to discharge you and if so, how. You want someone in the command who can advocate your case.

I'm dealing with hard core depression right now. Like it's pretty bad. What is Conscientious Objector and a Hardship? What are some examples? Like the things is i'm not happy where i'm at here. Thats why I want out so bad not because I just want to get out. I'm unhappy where i'm at and with thet work.
conscientious objector is when your religious beliefs preclude you from participation in the military. You can see the AF rules on how to apply here

http://objector.org/files/35627360.pdf

Hardship is different...it requires that a "hardship" within your family exists and your presence is required to assist. Take a look here

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI36-3208.pdf

At section 3C and you can see the requirements

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer