Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son was in the Army, killed himself in 2003. He had ADHD…

Customer Question
My son was in the...
My son was in the Army, killed himself in 2003. He had ADHD and depression problems. His medical records stated this and after reading the partial report of the investigation of his death, came to the conclusion that they knew he had diffulties. He was literally pushed over the edge and they suspected that he may do this the night of his death. They refused to let him call home and took his gun away from him. No chaplain was contacted. He indured constant harassment and abuse by the Sgt in charge. One Sgt lost rank due to not wanting to participate in this abuse. I was informed he had a breakdown after my son's death. (it was this Sgt's gun, my son used)
I had not recieved the report from the investigation the military performed. I had to obtain a copy from my ex husbands wife, over a year later, when I questioned why it never got sent. I did not read this report till a few weeks ago, (still have not completed reading it) after my daughter talked to an airman that witnessed these incidents.
I want to know if and how I could proceed in a wrongful death suit. I want the army to take responsibility in this and make sure no other young person looses his life due to these curcumstances.
Please inform me what I can do, if anything due to the time frame I let lapse. I don't know if I can ever except what and how this came about. I was in the military and come from 4 generations of military. The Sgt that was abusive was killed in action. But nothing was done prior to his death. I want accountability from someone.

Leslie Recio (NNN) [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
6/29/2010
Military Lawyer: JAG Defense, Military Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JAG Defense
JAG Defense, Military Lawyer
I am very, very sorry to read your inquiry and learn the details - as you know them - of your son's death. A person may only sue a government under the terms and limitations that the government permits and, for suits against the US Government the Federal Tort Claims Act (within US) and Military Claims Act (outside US) are the two methods provided. I am extremely doubtful, however, that you will recover anything in a lawsuit against the military because of a US Supreme Court ruling (Feres) that provides a service member may not sue the government for injuries or death that occur "incident to service" and, your claims against the military would be considered to be "derivative" from his claims, so you would similarly be barred from recovery.

I also very much appreciate, as a parent, your desire to do what you can to help make certain that no other family has to go through what you have gone through, but - and I say this after over 32 years in this business - there is really no way to prevent people from doing the things that those who contributed to your son's situation did. There will always be someone willing to abuse their position of authority.

What would be helpful is to make them more accountable...and that is something that can happen if enough people - such as you - do take active steps to encourage that at least people will be accountable for their misdeeds and not be able to hide behind government immunity. Your Senator and Congressman as well as veterans support organizations may be good places to seek that type of change.

Again, I am so very sorry to read of your loss; and regret I cannot offer a more promising response to your question.