Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

im in the navy i am divorced now but i was legally seperated…

Customer Question
i'm in the navy i...
i'm in the navy i am divorced now but i was legally seperated when i got pregnant... can i get into trouble even tho i am legally divorced?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
6/28/2010
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
In a very technical sense, yes. Adultery is a punishable offense in the military and being legally separated is not the same as being divorced.

Now, legal separation is one of the things that a commander is supposed to take into consideration when looking at charges, but it is not a complete defense to an adultery charge.

Edited by jagcorps_esq on 6/28/2010 at 6:18 PM EST