Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Hi, Im currently deployed and I would like to get a divorce,

Customer Question
my wife currently lives in...
Hi, Im currently deployed and I would like to get a divorce, my wife currently lives in Texas, and is only staying married to me to get spousal support and insurance every month, but does not want to give me a divorce. Can I atleast stop the insurance and is there anything that I can do to get a divorce even if she does not want one.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
6/22/2010
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
You need to provide for your spouse while married and stopping the insurance is just a risk. The last thing you need is her calling the base and speaking to your commander.

You don't need her cooperation to get divorced though. Find an attorney in Texas and file there, get her served (the lawyer's job) and get divorced contested. Divorce papers are just necessary for an nice clean and agreeable divorce.