Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Dear Attorney Gorin, Im sorry, took me a while to respond due…

Customer Question
Dear Attorney Gorin, Im sorry...
Dear Attorney Gorin, Im sorry, took me a while to respond due to not having a computer of my own. base on the facts that i give you, it wasnt clear enough. Heres my problem, i have been trying to look for an expert that can help me not only in the internet...i have all the document to prove that when my husband passed away, i was grant by the court the portion of his retirement pension before we separated the years we live together was 13 years and 8 months the divorce was file 2-17-93 but my lawyer abandoned my case even i have paid her but i called The Bar Assn luckily i found her and she did finished my case which the judgement of my divorce was final Jan 23rd 1997. I was grant by the court the portion of my deceased husband retirement as one of the commumity assest which is my husband part of his pension....in 1996 my husband stopped my alimony he only give support with my two children only $200 for my daughter and son a month. when they turn 18 years old. its understable that he stopped the support however the alimony was forgotten...base on the years that eventhough we are separated we are still married until the dissolution is not final so we actullay married 18 years...I am trying to seek a lawyer that can help me, i want t talk to a lawyer person to person and showed all my papers works that i have so that can reopen my case but due to financial problem i cant afford to hire an attorney, i know that the retired pay division owed me back pay.. Some of my friends advised me which only made me confused . I know my case was not a bad to handled because of the court judgement i have tried to call the VA, American legend, or any local legal aid for low income but It seems i dnt get any help. I will be going to a military base and find out if someone can help me...my friend call the retired pay division department
Cleveland but did not have luck becoz they dont know about the judgement of the court....what is the proper way to do this. any advice. T. Y
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
6/17/2010
Military Lawyer: Lawrence D. Gorin, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Lawrence D. Gorin
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

sir, Im 51 years old when my divorce was final inXXXXXgrant me his part of his pension, but the years passed i did not do anything about it, im not married anymore..want to collect part of what the, civil court judgement grant me. I know theres a law that they give you a second chance to collect my portion as long as im not married...my alimony was stopped 1996 by first husband retired navy for 20 years. The final dissolution it says im entiltled to his pension, i tried to call veterans anybody to seek help but i dnt get any answer . when we separated we are married 13 years and 8 months...I got remarried Jan 1st 2002, and my first husband passed away Feb 2, 2002 My second husband only last for only 4 months we are separated april 2002 my second merriage the divorce was final in Sept 1997... if i based it with my first husband years of merriage we actually married for 18 years becoz the final divorce was final 1997. theres only one asset that we settled in court which is community property his part of retirement pay which i was entilted. now my problem is i was giving a hard time to collect what im entilted to the pension of my deceased husband and to continue the militaryn ID card which is says with my divorce papers. my last option is to talk to lawyer which will represent my case in order to collect what Im entilteld... from 1996 to 2001 i know that i should have recieve the alimony becoz i wasnt married then....Attorney Gorin, I dont know how to really write a good letter Im sorry, not very good in english (LOL) I called several law firm but they kept saying its a civil court they dont handled the case, all I need is someone to write DFAS the division of pay and write and explained to them that I already have done the civil court and I was grant the portion of his pension...since he did not continue the SBP. and he abadoned his life insurance for my children..cant do anything about anymore I know its an option ....Its sad to say that He not only left anything for his children...

He died in VA long Beach Ca. we are the one took care of him eventhough he did not takecare of us. he was a gunnermate chief in the Navy. I will try to get some help by going to military Base to ask some help from Legal Department...some of my friends had same problem but it took few years to settle the case... becoz they are the only one who deal with thier own case but they finnaly approved them...I waited too much longer about my case...I thought its better to seek and let some legal expert like you to handle the case..I have all the papers as an evidence that Im entilted to his part of his pension was finalized by civil court...I wish you are close by to california...but you are to far and its hard to deal like this thru internet. Thank you

YOUR POST:
I am trying to seek a lawyer that can help me, i want t talk to a lawyer person to person
but due to financial problem i cant afford to hire an attorney.

MY RESPONSE:
I fully understand your concern and your need. Yes, you need to deal directly with a lawyer who will be able to provide you with the legal services and assistance you need. JustAnswer.com is a website that is intended to provide legal information, but direct legal services (which is what you need) is beyond what can be done here. So, therefore, I must necessarily “opt out,” as I cannot provide you with the legal services that you seek and need.
I wish you well.

Edited by Lawrence D. Gorin on 6/18/2010 at 11:18 AM EST