Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

yes, i REALLY need help. My boyfriend has been trying to get…

Customer Question
yes, i REALLY need help...
yes, i REALLY need help. My boyfriend has been trying to get a divorce from his wife. She threatens to take his daughter and leave. He is in the army, she doesnt work,has no car( he is letting her use his now, which now he doesnt have one), no house(living in his), and she has taken 10 thousand dollars while he was deployed, and didnt tell him exactly what she spent it on.Right before he came home, she also told him, she was sleepin with a married man, but left him. How should can he file? Can he have a chance to get cusdoty of his daughter? she is also, has a 7 year son, which she is in a cusduty battle with his dad. how can i help him? what steps does he need to be taking?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
6/16/2010
Military Lawyer: JAG Defense, Military Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JAG Defense
JAG Defense, Military Lawyer
Not to be critical of your situation, but you are having a relationship with a married man, so many of the same things that you are alleging against his wife, his wife could be alleging against him.

In many divorces one side threatens the other that if they don't get what they want then they will take the children away. So just take that as "par for the course."

He needs to retain a divorce attorney in Washington and file for divorce and, if he wants custody, for that. He should not expect it is going to be quick or easy, but he needs to do the right things to make sure that he also protects his military career.

He has a chance to get custody, and the wife/mother has a chance to get custody. There really is no way (particularly through a website such as this for quick answers to questions) the anyone can say who will or won't get custody, nor what the terms will be.

So he needs to get an attorney and the two of you need to make sure you do not do any things that will give his wife ammunition to use against him.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what i am doing, and i feel bad. this marraige, was suppose to be a contract. she is already in a full blown custody with her ex-husband for her 7 year old son. what would we do if she refuses? He has orders to germany for jan 2011?
Not sure what you mean by this marriage was supposed to be a contract (who was supposed to be in a contract - you and him or him and his wife; and what are the terms of the contract)?

What do you mean "what would we do if she refuses"...refuses what?

If he has orders for Germany in 7 months...he needs to get busy.