Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am an airman in the United States Air Force and I need some…

Customer Question
I am an airman in...
I am an airman in the United States Air Force and I need some advice. In the months previous to this our son was born three months preemie and has a lot of medical problems. The Air Force knew of our situation and knew of stress that was going on in the home. When I asked for help I was provided with time off but no one to talk to for counselling.
My fiancé and I got into a heated argument that turned into domestic violence and the cops were called. In th mist of the argument it got physically around our son and I defended my son and I by pulling a gun that was unloaded. I was charged with assault with a weapon. My fiancé was medically diagnosed as a manic depressant, has episodes where she blacks out and does not know what her acts are.
We are still together and are receiving counselling. What are my chances of beating these charges and still be able to keep my career in the USAF? How can I prove that it was all a mistake due to no help from the Air Force.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
6/14/2010
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Pointing a gun at someone is not likely going to be considered reasonable under the circumstances you describe. Unless you can show you had a reasonable fear for you life or the life of the child, pointing a weapon at another (loaded or not) would be assault.
So, in your honest opinion even though I asked the Air Force for counselling help and they did not provide any, and would not allow me time to seek that help on my own. Due to my security clearance for my job, I was only trying to defend myself and my son and I did fear that she would hurt our son. I had tried everything to detain her but she was being very violent and was not in her right state of mind. When she gets into her episodes she goes into blackouts where she does not know or remember what her actions are. Her psychiatrist is willing to testify on her condition.
All my actions were due to my fear that my fiance, without meaning to, would hurt our three month old infant that was in the room where we were physically fighting.
That will serve as mitigation..the fact you asked for mental help and did not get any...that can be used to lessen the punishment but it is not a legal defense.

Can you fight this on self defense? Perhaps...the standard is called the "reasonable person" standard...would a reasonable person, in your situation, be justified in pointing a weapon (loaded or not does not matter) at the other person. Will depend on the facts. Is your wife much stronger than you? Heavier? A better fighter? All this is a factor. If you had a reasonable fear for your life (not a cut or bruise, but you thought you may die) or the life of your child and you were not able to stop her in a less violent manner...then perhaps that can work

Is there are big assumption that I will lose my career in the military? Or will my taking classes and showing them that I am not that person help me in any way?
Depends on how this is resolved...what is the AF doing on the charges? Art 15? Court-Martial?