Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Dear sirs, I was married from 2003 till present. When first…

Customer Question
Dear sirs, I was married...
Dear sirs,
I was married from 2003 till present. When first married, my wife and I went to the VA Med Center, Benefits Dept, We filled out forms for CHAMPVA and spousal supplement pay, we recieved CHAMPVA, but we weren't getting the increase in pay. I have talked to the VA many times since then, even had Sen. Udall's office working on it. Now the VA claims my wife and I never applied for any benefits, which is odd, since I have all her paprework as does Sen. Udall's office. Udall's office has been stonewalled by the VA, saying they are just too busy to deal with my request, and that I am lucky to have any benefits at all.
What are my options?
Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
6/15/2010
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Options for what exactly? It sounds like you filed...did you provide the VA with a copy of your application?

What are my options for getting the VA to recognize my status and granting my spousal monthly benefits? VA has copies of everything.

Terry

If the VA refuses to move on this, you can sue them in federal court and force them. But I bet that the Congressional inquiry will help get the VA to do their job.