P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I recently wrote a rebuttal for an LOR I received in the Air

I recently wrote a rebuttal for an LOR I received in the Air Force. The Captain that gave me the LOR didn't like the rebuttal nor did my Commander. Can I be punished further for them not liking my Rebuttal?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

NO. You can not be punished for executing a right you have. Your right to submit a rebuttal is your "due process" for the adverse LOR. You can say what you like (just make sure its accurate).

Now were you to lie in the rebuttal, you could be prosecuted for a false official statement, but I am assuming you did not lie in this document.

SO long as you did not lie, you can not be punished further.