Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

under what resaons can the army discharge me after getting

Customer Question
a misdurmeanur assulat on a...
under what resaons can the army discharge me after getting a misdurmeanur assulat on a female that was trialed in civilian court and what can i do to stop from getting kicked out of the military
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Military Law
2/5/2010
Military Lawyer: PhilCave, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
PhilCave
PhilCave, Lawyer
Was this considered a domestic violence charge?
im not quite sure it was a plee bargen for a felony charge ( the charge i will not post on here because i dont know if this site post everything for eveyone to see) but the whole trial was in civilain courts
i will give the information because it might be of some help i was charged with a felony of a report of me attemping to rape a female minor then the DA changed it to a felony charge of indescent liberties with a minor i was given a plee bargen of a mistormeanor charge of assualt on a female now the army is waiting for a general to make up his mind wether to give me a letter of repromand or seperate me from the army they told me this and it halted me from out processing from my current duty station and from military training i requested in a reenlistment contract im due to report today before midnite and i dont know much about military law
OK, thanks.
I think the answer is yes, the Army can seek to separate you.
The first step they have to decide is whether the offense for which convicted could warrant a BCD if it was prosecuted at court-martial. To that the answer is yes. If you were prosecuted for indecent liberties with a minor and convicted at court-martial the potential sentence could include a BCD. The interesting issue is that with the plea bargain an assault and battery is what's left. An assault and battery can result in a potential maximum of a BCD and 6 months confinement at court-martial, more if it's an indecent assault or acts.
If they do decide to separate it will depend on what type of characterization they seek.

If they go for a general discharge, then your rights are limited to submitting a written rebuttal for consideration.

If they go for an OTH, then you have, and I would recommend you elect, a right to a hearing. At that hearing you can have legal counsel, call witnesses, present evidence, and make a statement. All of that is with a view to persuading the board to recommend retention or a better discharge. You should elect a board. If you don't you'll get the OTH AND that will prejudice you later if you try to upgrade the discharge.

Hope that answers the questions.

Sincerely.
PhilCave
PhilCave, Lawyer
PhilCave
PhilCave
PhilCave, Lawyer