How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34975
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i recently had a child from a SFC that is now in Kuwait. A

Customer Question

i recently had a child from a SFC that is now in Kuwait. A paternity test was done, and he is the father. The child support papers have been filed but not a court order yet because he has failed to send in his dependent information to receive credit for his other dependents. He has failed to present documents, has not given me any support for my daughter, and will be in Kuwait for another 6mon-1yr. what do I need to do to get financial support for her? CS stated its nothing they can do until he returns to the states. please help me in any way that you can with information on what the next steps that I can do to get help. I have all documents and he knows the child is his.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Its true...Under the Service Members Civil Relief Act, he can delay the court hearing while he is deployed. There is not anything that CS can do about that.

That said, if he is the dad, I would recommend you contact his commanding officer (battalion or squadron commander) and request the commander assist. Each service has rules that require support of may be the commander can help you with this.

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so do the US Army offer assistance such as BAH or any financial support or something that someone told me unitl he comes back to the states, and until CS can proceed? 2) Are dependents listed on the LES form? 3) Whom could I contact so that his dependent form can be forwarded to CS Agency 4) If I do contact the commander how do I find out whom to reach in finding out who the commander is?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
LES will not list dependents. YOu need ot contact his Commanding Officer. If you let me know what unit he is in I can get you info on the commander

Here is the army regulation on it and you will know what you rate