Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I was married to my husband in 1993 after living together for

a number of years....
I was married to my husband in 1993 after living together for a number of years. He was retired Army (E8). After 1 year of marriage we divorced and separated for about a year. Reconciled and lived together in a common law marriage until his death last week. My husband faithfully renewed my military ID card eeverytime it expired and he presented me as his wife. Now the US military is saying they do not recognize a common law marriage in the state of Texas and I am not entitled to any benefits. I am technically desititue and without medical if this is so. please advise.
2/4/2010
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Military is correct, you need to prove your marriage to them....you can not simply claim "common law".

That said, if you meet the requirements in TX for an "informal marriage" You can have this recorded if you meet the criteria. More info here

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/dro/common_law.asp

Once you have the state recognize it, the military will recognize it.
The common law marriage is not in dispute, we lived together, bought a house together, had credit togeher, I was with him when he died. The US Army simply is stating that they will not accept a common-law marriage in Texas. However, in googling infomation the military will accept a common law marriage in Colorado.
You need to get the state to acknowledge. IF the state will, the military will. Simple as that.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Just tried to go to the link you referred me to and the page does not exist.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer