Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am applying for a city government job in WA state, using

my 5 points from veterans...
I am applying for a city government job in WA state, using my 5 points from veterans service, which I used to obtain my current federal job with Transportation Security Administration. The city personnel officer stated that the preference points could be used only once. How does the preference points relate to obtaining a city government job?
2/4/2010
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Yes, that is correct, the state is free to decide how to treat your prior service and/or federal employment.

RCW 41.04.010 provides that veterans who served during a period of war or armed conflict and do not receive military retirement benefits are entitled to have 10% added to their passing scores for their first civil service appointment, that veterans who did not serve during a period of war or armed conflict or who are receiving military retirement benefits are entitled to have 5% added for their first civil service appointment, and that veterans who are called to military service for a year or more from city or county employment are entitled to have 5% added to their first promotional exam score. For details, see "Veterans' 'Preference' or 'Scoring Criteria' Status in Civil Service,"

There is an overview of the proces here

http://www.mrsc.org/Subjects/personnel/civilservice/vetpref.aspx

See also here

RCW 73.16.010
Preference in public employment.
In every public department, and upon all public works of the state, and of any county thereof, honorably discharged soldiers, sailors, and marines who are veterans of any war of the United States, or of any military campaign for which a campaign ribbon shall have been awarded, and their widows or widowers, shall be preferred for appointment and employment. Age, loss of limb, or other physical impairment, which does not in fact incapacitate, shall not be deemed to disqualify them, provided they possess the capacity necessary to discharge the duties of the position involved: PROVIDED, That spouses of honorably discharged veterans who have a service connected permanent and total disability shall also be preferred for appointment and employment.

So, if you meet the requirement, the have to give you credit

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer