Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

how can i have my military records sealed

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2010
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
What purpose do you have for trying to do this?
in 1974 i was found guilty of a minor offence at court martial and received an honorable discharge now i would like to prchase a handgun and the form requires me to list any convictions that have not been expunged or sealed i would like to seal the record so that i could answer no on the application
Unfortunately, there is not such thing as an expungment or sealing of a military criminal record. That is why you can find no information on it.
i have read many times that military records can be sealed just yesterday i read that senator john mccain has had his records sealed whats up
Senator McCain was not charged with a crime. If he had, he could not have sealed his entire record.

You can have parts of your military records sealed for privacy purposes, but not everything can be sealed. Military criminal history is one of those things which can not be sealed or expunged.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer