How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34735
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can Veteran sue the military for a wrongful discharge that

This answer was rated:

Can Veteran sue the military for a wrongful discharge that resulted in the lost of the veterans child and the vetern to lose everything they owned?
Thanks for the chance to assist and sorry to bear bad news...but under the "Feres Doctrine" it is not possible for a vet to sue the military for actions that took place while the member was in the service. More info on feres here

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for you time, I Am not concerned abot the things that happened to me when I was active Duty bt after my wrongful discharge is when I lost my son and became homeless. It has since been 3 years and I am now recieving help with my issues. I Am still fighting for my son. Does this still fall under the same thing?
No, it will not. Why do you believe you have a valid suit against the VA?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was sexually abused in the military and then was raped, After the experience I was submitted to The mental ward in the Army hospital, they spent 10 days to discharge me when I was not able to handle the events afterwards. During the process of outprocessing they said I had a personality disorder and denied me health benefite. Becasue of the discharge severity and the fact that the Va would not help me for 3 years fighting for help I became homless and lost everything I owned. My son was taken from me becasue I was considered unfit de to the severity of the discharge. I found out 2.5 yrs later that the whole time I had Military Sexual trama and Severe PTSD. I since then have been recieving help with the VA. I was rated a 50% disability rating, but my doctors have founded me to be unemployable. The military refused to fix my DD-214 and they still have not even applied any true help. I have another child since then and as of right now I am on the verge of loosing her. I have fought for 3 years + to get my son back but the military does not want to take responsibility for the series of events they were at faught for.

As I said, all events that happened while you were in the military can not be used for a basis for suit. I'm sorry for this mes, but the law on this is clear.

As for the VA, if you believe that they have not properly diagnosed your condition or provided you proper treatment or compensation, there is an appeals process. The first step is to file an appeal. The VFW, DAV or other service organizations can help you with this for free. IF, after the appeal, you still believe the VA is not properly resolved you case, then you can sue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your time and for giving the opportunity to explain myself. I got the answer I beed looking for, Even through the appeals process I have not gotten the right results and the process is taking more form me then they take credit for. I am definately satisfied witht he answer. I am still not 100% sure about a lawsuite but it would fall under the facts supporting they arent giving the proper help required for my dilemmas. I have put in my appeals and time and time again I have not gotten much good results.
Welcome. Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you