How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34542
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get out of the Navy without getting a dishonorable

Customer Question

How can I get out of the Navy without getting a dishonorable discharge? I have tried Early out/Enlisted Early Transition Program. I am constantly getting into trouble nonintentionally and it is causing me so much hardship. I have better opportunities outside the military that pay greater with equal benefits.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
So you ask the age old do I get out early?

Answer...there is not an easy way. With our all volunteer service, the Navy spent a good deal of money to find and train you...the last thing they want is to let you our before they get a return on their investment.

To leave early means you would need an administrative separation.
There are 2 types of Administrative Separations...Voluntary and Involuntary. You want, if at all possible, voluntary. If you can fit your circumstances into a voluntary separation you will typically rate an honorable separation.

Some examples of reasons for voluntary separation include:
Conscientious objector
Early release to further education

While not voluntary, a "convenience of the government" discharge may also get you where you want to go. As the title says, its for the government's convenience, not yours..but if you can convince the command to support you this is also way out.

If you can not find a voluntary separation reason that fits your circumstances, I would urge you to finish your term, since if you attempt an involuntary separation, this will typically result in a less than favorable characterization of your discharge, a loss in veterans benefits and difficulty going forward in a job search. Still, if you can not find a voluntary separation that fits, you can look closely at the different involuntary methods, as one or more may apply

Either way it is very important that someone in your command is "on your side" If there is a Staff NCO (Like your LPO) or better who can speak to the command on your behalf this will help quite a bit. In the end it is the Commanding Officer who will likely make the decision whether or not to discharge you and if so, how. You want someone in the command who can advocate your case.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would the Chaplin be a good avenue to maybe goto for a hardship discharge, but I do not have great hardship such as death in the family, I merely have grief from my command and my poor decisions/unfortunate luck. Maybe hardship/depression and a recommendation from him?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
That is a start. Better would be if you can get an LPO to help you out...they will have more pull with the command

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
One more thought...I was in the Navy and hated the job...I got off the ship by signing up for an being accepted to the Navy ROTC program. Next thing you know I was a Marine.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne; be willing to "cross rate" or take other paths to get to a new place.

Related Military Law Questions