How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34304
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what happens if you are awol from the marines and turn yourself

This answer was rated:

what happens if you are awol from the marines and turn yourself in two and half years later?
thanks for the chance to assist

Is your goal to stay out or to go back in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he would like to stay in but, he has been gone for almost two years.

Yes, it will be tough to stay in...but if that is what he wants he would at least have a shot.

Most likely if he turns himself in he would go to a court martial...and if he requests to stay in he MAY be able to stay in.

If he waits till he is arrested, he will go to the same court martial but will have no chance to stay in.

So, best bet is to turn himself in asap

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has been to iraq... does that make anything better on him? He has already turned himself in. he is waiting to see what happens.
Yes..that will. THat is his deployment to Iraq will help his case.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will he get paid for the time he is waiting there? What is the worst that can happen in a court martial?
Yes, he rates pay while waiting.

Maximum is 1 year in jail...but typically its only 2-3 months

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He would get paid even though his time was up last year? Do people who are awol and turn themselves in usually get jail time?, if he is past his contract AND in jail, no. But if past his contract and not in jail, yes

And yes, Marines typically give jail time

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are there any ways to avoid going to jail?
He should work with his defense counsel who can best advise. It may be possible to get a plea agreement that allows this but his defense counsel will need to work on this

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is he going to be given defense council. Because right now he is sitting there doing nothing. who would he ask, to stay in?
Yes. The Marines will give him a lawyer once they charge him

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
why are they sending him to ad sep platoon?
It may be they will separate him administratively...but if that happens he also will rate an attorney

P. Simmons and 2 other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions