Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I was stationed at Clark AB, in the Phillippines from Oct 1969

Customer Question
through Jan1971. I was...
I was stationed at Clark AB, in the Phillippines from Oct 1969 through Jan1971. I was assined to the 463rd FMS. I spent 6 months TDY to Cam Rahn AB, RVN. Those TDY's are not part of my Military Record. Would copies of those TDY orders be archived somewhere?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
9/8/2009
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
How about a statement from your Commanding officer at the time...or any of your supervisory chain command?

Sorry, my memory does not work well enough to recall my CO. The statement that was prepared by my Squadron Administrative Officer (Capt. Donald B. Dana) was already submitted to the VA and deemed not credible (Can you believe that?). The VA is insisiting that I furnish some sort of Military Record that varifies my presence in Viet Nam. A copy of my TDY orders would suffice. The only copies of those orders I had were sent to the Pennsylvania Department of Military Affairs in 1971 in order to recei ve my State Bonus......that was paid to me then. (They were not retained. Only a copy of the application and the payment varification.) (I submitted a copy of that application and pay voucher to the VA. (Again, NOT credible).

I feel certain that copies of those orders are archived somewhere. I need to find them.

Perhaps you may know a Government Records Research Specialist that could locate the archived records. I can supply you with any addiitional info you desire.

PS: My brother retired from the Marine Corp.....and died before he could win his battle with the VA. (He served three tours in Viet Nam) His memory is what is driving me to win this dispute. I will sincerely XXXXX XXXXX help.

Thanks

Did the Squadron Admin Officer vouch from personal knowledge of your TAD to Vietnam?

I assume you have requested records from here, is that correct?

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/standard-form-180.html

Were you TAD with your entire unit? The 463rd? Or did you go alone or with a small party?

Capt. Dana supplied the necessary varification documentation that was requested by the Pa Dept. of Military Affairs in order for me to receive the entitled bonus.

Yes. I requested and received some of my records. They did not furnish my Medical Records.....they said they were not available. I enlisted in the Army Reserve and the Pa. National Guard after my discharge from the Air Force. I was told that the Nat'l Guard probably has my Medical Records archived. I have to persue that avenue.

The 463rd maintained a Detachment at Cam Rahn Bay. Everybody in the Squadron took part in manning the detachment during their assignment at Clark AB. Each specialized shop supplied men on regular intervals. (It was normally 60 days at a time) I only got to go "in country" for three trips....a total of 6 months.

Have you requested to the 463rd for a copy of the unit diary of the records from that timeframe?
The problem is that Clark Air Base no longer exhists. I have no idea as to where the 463rd has relocated or if it was disbanded. The Unit Diary could possibly have the documentation that I need. I can supply the exact dates of my deployments during that timeframe. Do you have any idea as to where I could inquire about the Unit Diary, or who could enquire on my behalf?
Sorry for delay. Yes, perhaps. This was an Air Force Unit, Correct? Do you know the name of your higher command at the time?
Yes, it was an Air Force Unit. I cannot remember the Higher Command. I do know that it was a Tactical Support Squadron in what would have been PACAF (Pacific Air Force) PACAF would still exist due to current active Air Force Bases in Japan and Okinawa
Thanks

OK, This is certainly doable. It may take some persistence, but so long as the records exist...and I suspect they do, at least the "Unit Diary" (that is a Marine Term, but I am certain there is an Air Force equivalent and it may have the same name.

Here is what I would do.

I would draft a request under the Freedom Of Information Act

more info here

http://www.foia.af.mil/

Make the request for the "command chronology", the "unit diary" and any other documents that would show the TAD status of members of the 463rd for the year(s) that apply to you. If you can determine the command between PACAF and the 463rd...I suspect it is one of the wings...I would make the request their as well. But start with the request to PACAF.

Make sure you request a waiver of fees. Tell them what your doing...it may help as well.

If the documents exist, you can get them in this manner.

Your medical records may also have some helpful information...I would also request them as well.

Finally, if you have not yet appealed the VA decision, you may consider this as well (though I would do the FIOA request first...it may be on appeal you can use Capt Dana's statement to show that, in fact, you were in country

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
I will do as you have advised. When this dispute is settled I'm going to make a large donation to the Marine Corp Toys for Tots in your's and my brother's name. I'll keep you posted. Many, many thanks. XXXXX
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer