How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34530
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

am i wasting my time then if i fill out forms dd293 or dd149

This answer was rated:

am i wasting my time then if i fill out forms dd293 or dd149 to upgrade my discharge or change re code 4 to 3? i am prior service army with honorable discharge from first term ..but screwed up joining the army again. I trying to join the army national gaurd or even the marines reserves.
Thank you
Thanks for the chance to assist

Its true, if you have an RE4 code, you can not enlist...particularly not today with the poor economy recruitment is way up, so the need to grant waivers way down.

Its also true that you can upgrade the code, possibly, but its very difficult to do. You have the right form.

To be successful, you will need to demonstrate, under the circumstances, that an upgrade to the code is the appropriate result in your case. Typically this would be done by showing that the result at the time was wrong for some reason...for example if you can show that you rated an RE3 but were given an RE4 improperly.

The board will also consider your post service conduct, but this to a lesser degree than than your service conduct.

You should start with a request of your records. You can request them here

Unlike the urban legend, there is no "automatic upgrade" for fact only a small percentage of requests are granted.

To have the greatest chance for success you should consider working with an attorney that can help you assemble the package you will submit. A google search under "military lawyer upgrade discharge" will net you several prospects...I would talk to several to see if one can be of help...but understand this is a long shot...beware of promises.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: Its possible but difficult to do. Best of luck

Please let me know if you have more questions and I will do my best to assist, otherwise, please accept so I may get credit for my work.
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions