P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I understand that the 20/20/20 rule has been modified. My spouse

I understand that the 20/20/20 rule has been modified. My spouse has been in the service for 32 yrs...was married for 23 then divorced....we then married...he says I am covered if something was to happen to our marriage...is this true?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

Can you tell me your status currently? Married or divorced?

Also, you mention you were married for 23 years prior...was spouse in the military this entire time?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Considering divorce on the grounds of fraud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No he was married before me for 23 yrs....and he's been in the military for 32 yrs
Ok, and sorry for the delay.

Couple more questions

How long have you been married?

Is he still active duty military?

If not, how long ago did he retire?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1. We've been married a little over a one yr.
2. Yes he is still activre
3. No he has not retired....he still has 6 yrs left

I have to leave for a bit...I will leave this site up until.
Got it

Thanks

Finally, you ask

"he says I am covered if something was to happen to our marriage...is this true?"

Can you tell me what you mean by this exactly? Or better yet, what is your specific question today?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay due to the "fraud"...back taxes, tax liens, forclosure on house...these things he did not reveal to me before we were married and they seem to grow and grow each week...I am considering divorce.

So the question is if I do divorce...am I covered under his medical insurance?
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX understand

And no, you would not be covered under the 20/20/20 rule. To qualify, you need to be married at least 20 years of his active service and he needs to retire. Since you have not been married for long enough, you will not qualify for TRICARE for life.

More info here

http://www.military.com/benefits/legal-matters/usfpa-overview

Sorry to bear bad news...but good to know when you determining who gets what in the marital property settlement

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.