How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34275
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son enlisted in the army at 17. His mom and me have joint

This answer was rated:

My son enlisted in the army at 17. His mom and me have joint custody but she is custodial parent. His step-dad was abusing him and he moved in with me at 16. The recruiter tried to contact his mother but was unable too. He told me then she had abandoned him and all that would be needed would be my signature.
She has found out he is in boot camp and is trying to get him out. He is only 9 days away from graduating.
Can she get him removed from enlistment?
When will your son turn 18?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oct 2nd

Well, she may have enough time to pull him out. Under the law, the Army is required to have custodial parental consent to enlist a minor. But really this will depend on the Army. If they want they can give him a uncharacterized discharge which would allow him to re-enter at 18. Or they can wait and let mom file suit in federal court to try and void the contract. If she is the custodial parent, it is likely this would happen...but its not certain. And if the Army does not do this for her, it will force action (and expense) on her part.

When he turns 18 he can stay in without hitch.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
in my divorce papers it says: the parties feel the following custody arrangement is in the best interests of the minor child.the parties share joint legal custody of the minor child. the parties shall approximate as closely as possible a 50/50 shared joint residential arrangement with the child, however, respondent(ex-wife) shall be termed primary residential custodian. does this say she is the custodial parent or that we have joint custody

Sorry for the confusion. This is a bit more complex, since she did not have sole custody. The Army should have gotten her to sign as well. But they did not. This comes down to the Army. If they want, they can keep him. I would bet that if she sues, your release will be enough.

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions