Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I was HONORABLY discharged from the U.S.A.F. on June 15, 1955

Customer Question
at Camp Kilmer NJ...
I was HONORABLY discharged from the U.S.A.F. on June 15, 1955 at Camp Kilmer NJ after spending 3 years, 10 months and 15 days on active duty most of which was in West Germany at Furstendfeldbruck AFB.
My question is this. Why is the term "convenience of government" per PAR 2 AFR 39-14 and
PAR 2 AFR 39-45 given as reason for discharge ? At age 75 now, I had to give a copy of my
DD 214 to our local tax dept. and noticed this entry. Can you clarify the meaning of this for me.

Thank you, XXXXX AF 12377424
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Military Law
7/21/2009
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to assist

I suspect that one of two things happened here
1. There was a mistake and you should have been given an honorable discharge without the language "convenience of the government"

2. That you were discharged for the "convenience of the government"

A "convenience of the government discharge is just as the name implies...the service is discharging you for THEIR convenience...not yours. This is different than the discharge you obtain when you reach the end of your obligated service. A discharge such as this allows the military to separate an individual very quickly and the characterization is typically honorable or general, under honorable conditions. There are many reasons why the government could choose to award this type of discharge, including pregnancy, hardship of the soldier, early release to further education, parenthood, and a host of other possibilities.

I note that you served less then 4 full years. If you had a 4 year contract, it may well be that they let you out early under this provision

If it was a mistake, you could apply to have the mistake corrected here

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/correcting-records.html

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

I had anticipated that you would look into the Air Force Regulations I enclosed with my e-m. I tried but could not access AF 39 or I would have done this myself.

Thank you, XXXXX
THe regulation did not make it through

You can send it [email protected] and tell them to send to psimmons...i will then be able to review

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer