Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

what will happen if i do not go back to basic training but ...

Customer Question
what will happen if i...
what will happen if i do not go back to basic training but i have a medical reason(my lumbar has a loss of 77% curve),and i am in the national guard?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Military Law
12/31/2007
Military Lawyer: NOT LEGAL ADVICE!, FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY replied 10 years ago
NOT LEGAL ADVICE!
NOT LEGAL ADVICE!, FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Whether or not you have a medical reason, if you do not return, you will be deemed AWOL. Generally, the military does not actively pursue AWOL soldiers. Federal arrest warrants are issued after 30 days of absence, sending soldiers' names into law-enforcement databases. You will need to turn yourself in, and then tell your story to the military police. After processing, there is a chance that you could get a "less than honorable" discharge.

You may want to contact the GI Rights hotline , a nonprofit California-based organization that provides information and advice to thousands of service members every year who have gone AWOL, according to the group's Web site.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Please remember to click "ACCEPT."
This is the ONLY way I am paid for my efforts.
POSITIVE FEEDBACK is appreciated and reciprocated.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: Any information given by me is for informational use only and is not legal advice. This is general information and is not intended to be specifically tailored to an individual. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek legal counsel in their jurisdiction for accurate guidance regarding their individual circumstances.