Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

How do I renege on an Army committment letter I signed

I''ve changed my mind. I''ve...
I''ve changed my mind. I''ve taken no money. I''m 18 years old and I don''t want to go to Iraq.
12/27/2007
NOT LEGAL ADVICE!
NOT LEGAL ADVICE!, FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

I would anticipate that there are provisions to withdraw from the contract prior to boot camp. If you have any doubt that you will be able to serve to the best of their ability, then it is to the military's advantage to release you prior to investing money into your training.

If you have enlisted, then you would need to be formally discharged. Some employers will inquire whether you have served in the military, and the type of discharge you received. However, this would have a greater bearing if you were to pursue a career in law enforcement, military, and the like.

Some recruiters can be overly agressive. They may tell you that you cannot be released from your contract, or that there will be negative consequences.

I recommend that you contact the commander at the recruiting office. In your letter, you should state that you do not want to enlist and that nothing will change your mind.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Please remember to click "ACCEPT."
POSITIVE FEEDBACK is appreciated and reciprocated.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: Any information given by me is for informational use only and is not legal advice. This is general information and is not intended to be specifically tailored to an individual. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek legal counsel in their jurisdiction for accurate guidance regarding their individual circumstances.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE!